Tuesday, September 23rd 2014, 2:19pm UTC+2

You are not logged in.

• Login
  • Register

Dear visitor, welcome to 1R United | OneRepublic Fans United - Fansite & Community. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

MarcusRepublic

Backstage Pass Owner

Date of registration: Jul 14th 2010

Activity Points: 1365

Sunday, June 19th 2011, 7:50pm

Beyonce's Track By Track: "I Was Here" with Ryan Tedder

Track 11. “I Was Here”
Sounds Like: Another Ryan Tedder ballad, this time at least slightly-less-than-mid-tempo, but with the same reliance on piano, big drums and bigger vocals as “Start Over.” Really, it sounds like a song that could be used as a first-single song for an American Idol winner, which isn’t nearly as much of a compliment as it probably sounds.
Pros: One thing you’ve got to say for this album—no shortage of cool intros. This one has quivering, air-conditioner-like reverb and and plaintively plucked guitar setting an appropriately somber mood, though unfortunately it only lasts for about 15 seconds before Beyoncé and the song’s beat kick in. Also, the combination of xylophone and piano that recurs as a hook throughout is nice.
Cons: Why so morbid, Beyoncé? We’re not sure what exactly has the Queen B feeling her mortality so—turning 30 isn’t easy for anyone, we suppose—but it’s responsible for a couple of the draggiest songs on 4, and “I Was Here” is pretty goddamn heavy-handed. There’s more octave-up harmonizing like on “I Miss You,” but this time around, we’re not particularly interested in what either Beyoncé has to wail about. “Leave something to remember / I was here / I lived, I loved.” What, you mean like 11 million albums sold and five #1 singles in your solo career alone? Yeah, we think you should be good on that one, B.
Lyric as Personal Mantra: “The hearts that I touch / Will be the proof that I have / That I made a difference.”
Previous Reviews:1+1“, “I Care,” “I Miss You,” “Best Thing I Never Had,” “Party,” “Rather Die Young“, “Start Over,”Countdown,” “End of Time
  • Go to the top of the page

groovebea

Autograph Hunter

Date of registration: Jun 13th 2010

Activity Points: 965

Sunday, June 19th 2011, 9:12pm

I love this song so much and reading this makes me want to listen to it again :D
Don't let anyone wake me, I'm dreamin' out loud :love:

Date of registration: Aug 14th 2009

Activity Points: 2850

Sunday, June 19th 2011, 9:30pm

I need to listen to this song just because of this article. :D

Rate this thread